Artiphone successfully working on Android (Galaxy Note 4 with Marshmallow OS)

Using factory default image from Samsung, I am happy to report that I have been able to get the artiphone to work relatively well with thumbjam, as well as Audio Evolution Mobile. The sound fonts in thumbjam are particularly impressive, though in neither application do I have things like velocity controls or the ability to fine tune the sound generator to the degree I can on PC.

Just thought I’d mention it. When I film the extended playability review later this week, I will include this.

I should also mention that thumb jam supports accelerometer based input into the instruments, and the phone fits well behind the neck of the artiphone. :smiley:

Various problems
Free Easier Alternatives to Windows/Kontakt

Thank you for this update! Great news. It looks like the Android world is slowly getting to a point where some apps are available and the latencies become more usable. We are certainly following this.

So glad you posted this, ‘jedi,’ cuz the Audio Evolution app is the first I’ve been able to get to work on my 'phon (after 3 days of trying!), being of the ‘non-Apple’ community, at least thus far. I had been able to get some sample sounds out of the instrument, but none of the other things I tried would allow the I1 to trigger the signals from the fretboard or strum-pads.

I had to get an ‘OTG’ interface cable on Amazon to secure the USB connection on my Galaxy S5 (or at least, that’s what I had read, and it only took Amazon 2 days to get it to me), but once I loaded the app, & got into some of the instruments in the library, I started generating some of the sounds I had been so anticipating since I paid for this thing, oh-so-long ago. It is pretty cool to get some of those keyboard sounds, while fingerpicking with guitar-chord shapes on the fretboard.

I’ll try to get some postable videos tomorrow to show some of the things I’ve been able to get out of it so far (and I guess I still need to get an iOS device to take full advantage of the add’l features there, with all the presets & various alternate tunings & such – but at least now, I can have some fun with the Audio Evolution offerings)!

Will there ever be an android Artiphon app?

Here’s a Google-Drive link to some audio meanderings I recorded this morning, using the sound library off of Audio Evolution (recording direct from the Artiphon headphone jack into the 1/8" ‘Line In’ jack on my Zoom1 recorder):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bylj4t9uQYBpa0M3M3BWblpMTGM/view?usp=sharing

FYI, you hear a number of places I may have stumbled a bit, which was most often because I missed the bass note, whether it was me still getting used to the fretboard, or maybe sometimes, the responsiveness of that particular pad seemed to stall a bit. I’ve been surprised at the general responsiveness on ‘hammer-ons’ & pull-offs, although you sometimes have to be rather ‘emphatic’ (i.e., very deliberate) with your fingerings – and pull-offs really don’t work when you’re pulling off to an ‘open string’; there’s just nothing there, so you have to pluck a second time to get the note. One fingered note pulling off to another fingered note generally works pretty well, though – a point I was pleasantly surprised to find!

In any case, it’s all manageable, and bodes well for future projects. It’s been as much as I had hoped for, in most cases, so onward & upward we go! ♫♪

We will take a deeper look into Audio Evolution. Very promising!

I purchased wrong cable to connect my Android Galaxy 7 to Artiphone (Belkin USB-IF Certified 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable, 6 Feet) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NCX2HM . To correct my error but not return cable, purchasing a USB-C to MicroUSB converter - https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Converts-Resistor-ChromeBook/dp/B01AHKYIRS

If anyone has a better/different cable to recommend, please let me know.

I think you need the ‘OTG’ cable, like I got for my S5 (‘OTG’ = ‘on-the-go’ – real techie sounding , huh?). Anyway, here’s the link on Amazon; got mine in 2 days, and it connects to the standard USB cable that came with the Artiphon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LN3AXWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, the converter goes the wrong way. It converts a MicroUSB into USB-C, so no help to me. Purchasing OTG cable recommended by jsmith23

I’m not sure if this is the best place to add my voice but we are also an “iOS-less” family and I’d love to see support for an Android app. From Marshmallow (Android 6.0) onwards, native MIDI is supported. :slight_smile:

What can't I do without having iOS?

Thanks very much for your posts here. I just got my 'phon last week (November 2016) after waiting for over a year. I am setting it up on my desktop and tablet pcs. I just downloaded the Audio Evolution Mobile app for my Galaxy S6 and am waiting for the mini usb adapter. I had been a little disappointed in the software but am only now able to make the Kontakt 5 player work after a lot of exasperating futzing around with the settings to get some sound out of it. So now it’s time to get down to business of learning to play this thing. Your mp3 samples were inspiring so thanks also for that. I would look forward to hearing more of your work on the Instrument 1.

Android apps that work (but not properly. Need help)

Hey there,
Maybe this is a stupid question but can anyone tell me how to set up an android device with this guitar?
I tried Audio Evolution Mobile but have no clue. I also tried to use it on my PC but I can not get a sound out of it… Why is there not just a single explanation out there for people who cannot afford a 600$ phone…
I am sorry, just a bit in a bad mood

Hi Stephan
I had a lot of frustration at first, too, when I got my Artiphon Instrument 1. I am an Android user as well and I have a nine year old Motion Computing LE1600 pen pc as well as a more powerful and newer Core2Quad desktop pc and I am using Windows10 on them both. (I am awaiting delivery of a new Surface Pro 4, however, because the old sound card and the old display settings on the LE1600 are too limited and the Instrument1 and the Kontakt 5 software do not function very well on this old hardware. It works fine on my Core2Quad desktop pc, however.)

I have worked on it for many hours to get it working and here is how I got sound out of it on my pcs:

Turn on your Instrument 1 making sure that its battery is charged.
Make sure your Instrument 1 is connected to the pc.
Make sure the pc sound icon in the taskbar is showing Speakers (USB) 85% which means that the Instrument 1 is set to play sounds itself.
Set the Instrument 1 to the guitar setting, the first icon on the instrument.
Set the volume to halfway.

Start Kontakt Player 5 on the pc.
Bring up Kontakt Factory Selection (presuming that you installed this beforehand under Add Library)
Go to Options (the little gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the Kontakt Player window.)
Click on Audio. Maker sure that Instrument1 shows in the second little window on the upper right part of that window.
Click on Midi. Click on Inputs. Make sure that Inputs has Instrument1 show PortA in the status box. Click on Outputs and make sure that Instrument1 shows up under Device Name and that the status box is set to "On"
Now Click on Band under the Factory Selection Instruments window and see the grouping of instruments listed there.
Choose one of the instruments. For example, double click on An Upright Bass.nki. A black window will open briefly then disappear and a instrument window will appear on the right hand side under MultiRack. It should be named An Upright Bass.

Now for the tricky part: at this point if you have followed all the above instructions, you should see Output: st.1 under the name and under that MIDI Ch: [A] 1. (as well as the other boxes called Voices: 0 Max: 32 and Memory 1.79MB.) When you pick up your instrument and strum the black nubs, you will not hear anything! Yeah! Go figure! What I have to do is change the setting under MIDI Ch: [A] 1 by clicking on it , go to Port A [Instrument 1] and choose 2 to set this to 2 instead of 1. Now pluck the black nubs and you should hear a deep bass sound! But only on one nub! What to do!? Go back to the listing of instruments and double click An Upright Bass.nki again! A second window with the same name, An Upright Bass, will come up. Change the MIDI Ch: [A] to 3. Pluck the second nub and you will hear the second note of a double bass. Go back and repeat the above setting the third window to 4 and do it one last time setting the the fourth window to 5. Now you should hear the four strings of the double bass as you pluck the first four black nubs. You can now also change the note by pressing on the fret on the string of the nub you are plucking.

Once you get this working, save these settings to a file with your name on it so you can come back and use it at another time. For example Stephan Double Bass.

I did this for several instruments and I am now able to play and practice and learn the I1.

I had to figure this out myself because the instructions on the Artiphon website were only partly clear. At this time, I have only tried Native Instruments Kontakt 5 player software. I have not yet been able to figure out the Audio Evolution Mobile on my Samsung Galaxy S6 android phone yet although I did install it because another gentleman posted here that he got it working. So I’ll keep trying.

I hope this helps you, Stephan. Good luck. I hope you will be enjoying your I1 soon.

Thank u very much for your detailed description to get it working on a PC. Just one question, where can I just find a Spanish guitar. I only see Jazz and Rock.
Btw. I also found something on http://artiphon.com/kontakt-player-installation-for-artiphon-staff-picks/

One last question, how do I get it working with my Android. I bought this guitar for trips because usually then I have time, but no space for a guitar :smiley:

Hope this series of Galaxy screen-shots helps, for those of you having difficulty getting it to work – follow the red arrows in sequence, and when you get to the last one, DON’T click the ‘OK’ button on your Android screen. You’re already where you need to be to get sound samples to play on your I1. I have had many instances when the ‘USB’ icons don’t light up in green on the first attempt; just keep trying (unfortunately, that usually means closing the app, re-connecting the cables, & restarting the process all over again. Obviously, that’s a major pain, but one of the costs, I guess, of going with the non-iOS app).

I also left off the interim query window, where you tell the phone to use the ‘eXtream’ USB driver (hmmm, never have tried choosing the ‘Android’ option; not sure if that would work or not!). Anyway, it’s got some great ‘sound fonts’ in its library – I especially like the ‘Piano & Str.-Sustain’ voicing, under the #11 ‘bank’ listing. It’s got a real nice, hearty piano sound, with a very pleasant string-section sustain on the decay.

Thank u for this description. Slowly I am getting somewhere :smiley:
Just have to figure out now how to turn off the screen or hopefully this company who sells this articles does something in the close feature

That was very useful, thank you! It is very confusing that the instrument selection screen itself is the only way that it seems to be possible to get the program to actually make sounds using the I1. Unless I am missing something, I hope?

The app, much like GarageBand, Cubasis and the like, were set up to allow multi-track recording/layering, track-by-track, but if all you need are the different voicings, then that last screen shown is as far as you need to go with it.

You are on the right track now to getting your Instrument 1 working, Stephan. The “Kontakt Player for Artiphon Staff Picks” only offers a few instruments at this time. I am sure that more will be offered in the months to come. Maybe you could ask them to do a Spanish Guitar! Let’s also hope that Android support will be simplified soon.

Thank you very much for this. I will go to work on it today to see if I can get my I1 working on my Galaxy S6. Your diligence is greatly appreciated as is your generous sharing of your work to help us out. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Just to follow up, your guide was all I needed to get up and running on my Galaxy S6. My Instrument 1 sounds and plays really well since doing the Firmware upgrade but the Audio Evolution app is terrific. I had to pay $8 but it is really worth it and I have been really tickled to play the different guitars, pianos, violins and drumsets on it. They all sound just like the real thing IMHO! I can’t imagine it gets much better than this. Thanks for this.