Bridge sensitivity

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the bridge? As a guitar finger picker I am used to resting fingers on the strings/bridge and this frequently results in unwanted notes on the Artiphon. Suggestions for settings would be appreciated.

Bass guitar right-hand technique

It’s called Method Sensitivity in the Artiphon app, in the section headed Instrument 1 Settings; in the iOS app it’s on a separate screen you access through the More > bar at the bottom of the main screen. In Strum presets it adjusts the sensitivity of the bridge triggers, and in Tap presets the sensitivity of the fretboard.

Thanks Nick. I have played around with the Method Sensitivity in the Artiphon app while in strum mode and I can’t tell any difference between the Low and the Very High setting other than it changes the volume so that in the low setting it seems to be very muted. The bridge seems to be equally sensitive.

Hmm, that’s odd. Is it possible you’re using a sound source that doesn’t respond to velocity? You should find that strumming or picking the triggers on the Low setting produces velocity values in the 40–50 range, and the Very High setting produces values in the 100+ range.

Sorry, Keith, I wasn’t on the ball last night – you’re quite right that Method Sensitivity doesn’t affect the bridge’s triggerability (the threshold at which a note is sent out), only the velocity of the notes produced when the threshold is activated. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way to adjust that. I actually find the triggers not responsive enough, I think because I’m a light picker on normal guitar, so that I get a lot of dropped notes and have largely given up on the bridge for picking. (It’s great for bass notes and drones, though, so long as you stick to keys in the [E]ADG zone of the circle of fifths…)

I don’t like the bridges, either. I would prefer the keys to have no bridges. I keep fumbling over them. Moreover, can the whole instrument be Bluetooth? It’s awkward and complicated. I keep expecting to like it, but I don’t like having to keep it plugged in.

The trouble with Bluetooth is that it’s fine with MIDI but unacceptably laggy with audio, so while you could use the I1 as a Bluetooth controller you wouldn’t be able to route the sound back to the onboard speakers without the latency making it unplayable. (This is why the Jamstik doesn’t have speakers.) It’s possible to use the I1 as a Bluetooth controller with this setup, but wires are still involved and there isn’t anywhere obvious to tape the three bits of additional kit needed without getting in the way of your hands.

I actually like the bridge triggers, but not for picking; you gradually find that you don’t really need them when the I1 plays so brilliantly in tap mode. That said, some people are able to play the triggers very fluidly and naturally; @jsmith24’s videos, here and on his YouTube channel, show how well it can work.

Don’t have more photos here, but it’s possible to do a stickable “pack” that fits in the wider part of the back. Btw, I added a last element, an on/off button for the keep-alive :slight_smile: (https://www.amazon.es/Interruptor-USB-Encendido-Apagado-3-0/dp/B00RC1NFEI)

I’m having the exact same issue with the bridge. I’m a bass player coming into this, so I’m used to plucking the strings upwards and having my finger stop on a string above to keep it from moving too far. This just doesn’t work on the Instrument 1. This issue also occurs with my lead guitar preset, where I sometimes brush my finger on a string above or below, which causes a note to accidentally trigger. For the time being, I just forgo using the bridge for my lead preset, and for doing bass stuff I’ll just use a real bass.

I really hope an option to adjust the bridge’s note trigger sensitivity is added in the future. That would fix one of the biggest issues I have with this thing!

Same here!

New instrument came in after waiting 4 weeks. I’m very disappointed about it. Searched here for a solution, but as I figured out, there is no solution. BTW: I’m used to guitars in many different playing styles: strumming, plucking, picking, slide, lapstyle. I would describe the problem exactly as neurichmond did. The next problem ist that the notes changes, if you grab close to the frets how you would do on a real guitar. third problem: the power needed to fret a string is different between stringes. That makes it hard to play consistent. Still no reverb and delay controls after two years than on off.

I think the problems would be solvable by the devs … but when?

For me this behaviors transformes it from the hyped controller to an expensive toy.
Will send it back to the dealer … and wait for better times.

It sounds as if you’re making the mistake of trying to play the bridge triggers the way you would strings. That’s not how the I1 works; it’s far more powerful and versatile than that, and the bridge triggers are really just a crutch to help beginners and comparatively inexperienced guitarists to make some instant chordal music with a plausibly guitar-like sound. But for experienced guitarists you don’t normally need the bridge triggers, or indeed the right hand, at all; for most purposes you’ll want to be playing in tap fretted (or for some purposes grid) mode with MPE, which is absolutely phenomenal and a natural extension and optimisation of your existing guitar skills to unlock sounds and expressiveness you never thought possible.

What are you using as a sound source? If you’re on iOS, Noise is a great free option to bring out its best; if on desktop, I’d suggest something off Roger Linn’s listing of MPE-capable desktop synths. And I’m not quite clear what the issue is that you’re having with reverb and delay; could you give a bit more detail?