I'm having too much fun! I just started using the GrooveBox app

After reading Artiphon’s newsletter the other day, I downloaded the GrooveBox app (free) that was used to make one of the videos. I had a busy week and I just tried it out last night, and I’m having a blast.

I’m using the poly 8 synth here to play basic guitar chords, and just one of the sample drum patterns. I think this is my new set up for composing and playing. It just opened up so many possibilities.

If you’re interested, here’s the track I quickly made just to show off how cool it is after playing on it for 10 minutes: Sketch #1

Is anyone else using this app, and do you have some tracks I could check out to see what you are coming up with?

Cheers!

Observation/Question: I’ve discovered that when I switch to preset 3 on the instrument while using the Groovebox app, the instrument responds beautifully to a very light touch, which is how I prefer to play. What is it about this preset that offers this feature? Should I expect it to function this way in other apps?

Good question! User Preset 3 is, by default, a tap strings preset tuned like a guitar. The Tap method means that it has 100% sensitivity to touch on the fingerboard, and is great for soloing. It should also have the same sensitivity as slide (fretless strings) and tap (grid or pad).

This is very different than strum (fretted strings), where by default we enable hammer-ons at medium sensitivity. This means that, beyond strumming the bridge, you’d have to tap the fingerboard with a bit of force to trigger a note. There is a slider in the app to let you increase or decrease hammer-on sensitivity. You might want to turn it higher if you like more of the hot-electric-guitar tap sensitivity combined with strumming.

Of course, you can always design your own custom presets in the app and save them to the 4 user preset slots (the dots) on the I1. That way when you’re using Groovebox (or Gadget, or Garageband…) you don’t have to switch back to the Artiphon app to change a preset.

Final note: the method sensitivity selector also changes velocity curves, not the note-on threshold. Lower settings give wider dynamic range, higher settings compress velocity to higher settings for loudness.

Hope that helps!