Instrument one will not connect to iPad or Macbook pro laptop

Followed all the instructions downloaded the software when I plug in the instrument 1 The light at the bottom of the neck just scrolls back-and-forth the software says there’s nothing connected charged the unit I’ve read a bunch of stuff in the forum, I tried the same thing on my laptop. I never get the message “update firmware“ it just isn’t connecting.
Anybody else have this problem? I filed a ticket with tech-support so I just really need to use it for a project that’s why I bought it.

Hey Tim,

Just responded to the email you sent in to the support inbox. The lights cycling back and forth definitely indicate that the device isn’t connecting. Are you using the included cables, still with no result on your laptop or iOS device?

Artiphon support will get you sorted, but let’s see if we can at least narrow the issue down. What are you trying to connect to (Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, other?), and are you using just the supplied cable or are you running it through an adapter?

Edit: Jeremy beat me to it, so just ignore. (But it might still be useful to know whether you’re on iOS or desktop.)

Yes I’m using the included cables However I bought this from Sam ash used.
And it was missing one table the mini USB to lightning was missing what was included was the mini USB to big USB so that’s what I used for the laptop, and for the iPad I use that same cable but I use the camera adapter that goes female USB to lightning

Thanks Nick. It seems like it’s a bad cable I’m using a MacBook Pro, and iPad fifth generation

You won’t be able to update firmware through the camera adapter, but it should still connect. (And firmware update via the desktop editor should work. Are you on Windows or Mac?)

Sorry, crossed again! I’ll let Jeremy take it from here; it’s not obvious to me why the Macbook at least isn’t connecting.

Wait I think it’s working. I searched through the original box but then I looked in the bag and found the mini USB to lightning cable so it looks like it’s beginning to work.

OK it’s working!

Oh, brilliant! Have an insane amount of fun. (You will…)

I’m sure I will I’ve been a string player for 30 something years no matter how much I practice keyboards it’s just not the same.
Guitar synthesizers don’t work that well either. I’m sure I can get a lot of work done on this.
Thanks Nick for jumping in to help out I’m usually the guy doing that with people on the guitar forums.

Tap mode is the star, particularly with MPE. Try it with Noise on the iPad as an AUv3 in GarageBand or similar. It’s what your fingers have been waiting for.

Woohoo! :raised_hands:

Glad to hear you got it up and running, Tim! And thanks for the backup as always, Nick : )

-Jeremy

Next time I’ll read the thread subject before asking dopey questions that it already answers…

Hey Nick, Got any other tips?

Dude I almost returned it. But I got up this morning and tried some different things and now I’m at about 80% playability. I think I can make it work, I just need some help and time.
I was having serious issues on tracking, or just getting it to trigger a note like only 4 out of 10 notes worked properly.

Here’s a question:
Specifically, sometimes I want to be able to “strum” or pick a series of notes on a synth bass line especially if I’m walking down to an “open” note.

In tap mode how do I play an open note? Something that worked was: in one of the strum modes I was able to get good tapping functionality and then go in for a “strum” on a few specific notes and it was working pretty well.

So I have my sensitivity turned up all the way.

Secondly, is there a difference in feel or accuracy between an iPad or a MacBook?
Or is it about the same?
So far I’ve only used the iPad because I need a new cable.

Thirdly: what are the proper modes that you think would work best for me?

Here is some context.

I need to be able to have quick single note response most of all, and secondly to be able to play slower melodies with good vibrato tracking and after touch options.

I know how to play. I’ve played bass guitar then lead guitar for 30 years all together 5 years on fretless bass.
I’m a producer/engineer w/ a studio. I’m wanting to be using the Artiphon for synth bass with quick attack times, melody lines/cello and string samples (Spitfire) and lastly for chords/pads.

I’m using Logic and Ableton 10. Probably tracking with software synths and using a combo of soft & hardware synths some going through the Fractal AxeFxii.

So it seems like you know what your doing and understand the nuances of the Instrument :laughing: (pun intended)
Also you jumped in to help out so quickly yesterday I’m guessing you spend a little time here.

Any tips to send me in the right direction would be appreciated!

When it works it’s amazing I couldn’t stop, I was using the Moog Model D app and some generic ones in GB. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey I think I answered a bunch of my questions. So I got a cable and now I’m using it with my MacBook Pro, it seems to be way more responsive and stable.

I don’t know if I’m just getting better at it, but immediately it seemed like it was more accurate with a laptop then with an iPad.

I also watched all the videos which helped.

And I was able to access way better software synthesizers on my Mac such as the newest Arturia V collection and Pigments 2.
That may have been part of it, better sounds.

This thing is so much fun! I’ll have to tell you that I’m late to the party. I’m just glad I’m here.

What kind of stuff do you use it for? :thinking:

Yeah, it sort of trains you in what it likes over the first few days. I’ve always found even my now-wheezy 2016 iPad Pro as good as or better than desktop (2019 Mac mini), but it does make a difference to latency, at least, to use the audio output from the iPad rather than routing it through the I1.

You’ve already figured out that it’s much more accurate and responsive in tap mode, both in fast playing and in expressive aftertouchy stuff. You can use the bridge triggers for open strings, but they’re better at drones or bass notes (don’t forget that the open strings give you the bass notes in a circle of fifths from B through to G, so in the keys of E, A, or D you can get the bass notes for the dominant, tonic, and subdominant just from the bridge triggers), and usually the best way to get the open note is just to play in a scale position that gives you it on a lower string. They’re not much use for picking – no guitar controller has ever really cracked that satisfactorily – but you can do a cool kind of mandolin tremolo by holding one between finger and thumb and wiggling it, and they’re great with sustained drones.

On desktop, the die-for synth for I1 use is Equator, which is a masterclass in MPE sound design but annoyingly doesn’t have a demo available (though the AUv3 version of Noise on iOS, as well as the older Seaboard 5D, uses the same engine and its patches are Equator presets, some of them not yet available on desktop, including the fantastic Floatation IAP pack). You need to remap CC1 to CC74 to be able to use the I1’s mod wheel accelerometer tilt with Equator; there’s a thread here on all that if you get the bug. The FXpansion synths (Cypher and Strobe) are also good and do have demoes; and Surge is free and went MPE last year, though unlike the ROLI family it’s not designed ground-up for MPE. With any synth, it can sound particularly fantastic if you tune the bottom two strings down an octave to get more of a keyboardy kind of range.

If you haven’t already tried it, the I1 does really great lead in tap mode; you don’t need much more than a decent amp app (I use ToneStack, but the free Tonebridge will get the job done perfectly well) to run the built-in Artiphon app guitar sound through. It won’t readily do multi-string bends, but you can play really fast and expressively with pressure bends and your fingers will barely feel it.

Sorry, this is all a bit random and top-of-the-head. But it sounds as if you’ve already figured out the tl;dr version, which is that the I1 is less a guitar controller than an incredibly expressive MPE keyboard in the form of a guitar fingerboard. That’s not to say that it’s not perfectly usable as a strum controller, but that’s a bit like using a katana to butter your toast. For the guitarist with a reasonable facility with scales and arpeggios, it’s an absolutely sensational way of weaponising existing skills in ways we couldn’t have imagined. And I haven’t even mentioned stick-style tapping two-handed…

Oh, I forgot to say that Logic handles MPE correctly but Ableton can only do fake MPE via a laborious kludge. But your Pigments 2 is MPE-savvy, so should play awesomely with the I1 in Logic. (And if you have any of the other synths on Roger Linn’s list, you’ll definitely want to take them for a spin with the I1 too.)

Hey Nick thanks a lot I really appreciate it! And Roger Lynn’s list and description of MPE is very helpful that’s something I was wondering about glad that he covers about the multi timbral stuff.

I’ll definitely be trying that out. And thanks for the heads up on Ableton. I’ve only recently started using it because it’s so odd I spent about 20 years in ProTools, got Logic last year that was a very easy transition.
Ableton on the other hand it’s just such a completely different approach it’s taking me a while to wrap my head around it.

It’s all starting to come together pretty well with the I1.
I spent all afternoon in Logic much of it with Pigments 2.

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a thorough answer I really appreciate it!

I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around here on the forum.:grinning: