What's this? [Fake Orba ads: don't click on them!]

Got this ad today on Facebook.

See here (which is safe to click on!):

I’ve taken the (I hope not too intrusive) liberty of expanding your thread title as a precaution, though I think the danger is mainly to people who click on it in their Facebook feed. This is an example of a very pervasive, well-known, and corrosive type of scam that is doing great damage to Kickstarter: fraudsters clone the pages of successful projects and offer nonexistent versions of the same product at preposterously low prices, and if you make the mistake of clicking on them you appear to identify yourself to the fraudster as a gullible prospective mark, which will then cause you to be preferentially targeted with further scams.

Artiphon and Kickstarter are incandescent about this, but Facebook (to whom all such cases should be reported) continue to do nothing. It’s an absolute scandal; Facebook are taking the fraudsters’ ad money and pimping out their users to cybercriminals, and they get away with it because nobody will hold them to account. Ideally everyone would just vote with their feet and delete Facebook, but it doesn’t seem that’s going to happen any time soon.

They are doing it again! Feb 2020

https://gehuyn.store/product/handheld-all-in-one-instrument-and-midi-controller/

Did you report them

I was fooled by this ad on Facebook. I was not aware it was fake so I foolishly ordered it. When I found it was a scam, I contacted Paypal for a refund because they sent me a cheaply made bluetooth speaker in a beat up box. Paypal wouldn’t refund my money. I even sent them pictures of the speaker, telling them it was not what I ordered. We went round and round over this. They closed the case and I just gave up. $20.00 down the drain. I’m still seeing ads like this on FB. I report them but new ones pop up all the time.

Ouch. So sorry to hear this, and particular thanks for sharing the cautionary tale of the followup. It tells you everything about Facebook that they continue to welcome these fraudsters’ ad money to fund their scams out of the pockets of their own users, and then salt the wound by hosing you with further ads. But do keep reporting them to FB, thankless though it seems; the one unintended positive to their exploitative targeting algorithms is that victims of previous versions then become frontline spotters for the new ads when they appear. It’s not the best revenge, but as they’ve put that weapon in your hands there’s some small satisfaction in using it against them.

Just one of the many reasons I recently closed my FB account. It’s a pox on civil society